Amanda-Users

Re: question (if tape server crash)

2003-02-13 09:11:39
Subject: Re: question (if tape server crash)
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: David.Lee AT arvatousa DOT com, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 07:05:26 -0500
On Wednesday 12 February 2003 21:22, David.Lee AT arvatousa DOT com wrote:
>If the tape server is crashed, and I  reinstall Amanda, can the
> NEW tape server
>recognize previous backup tapes and retrive the files?
>It looks unlikely.
>How solve this problem?
>
>Thanks advanced!
>
>David

As Martin Hepworth aludes to, one must have a backup of the indices
available.

However, when I needed to recover from an hd dying last fall, I
found that those files, which most certainly were included in the
disklists DLE entries, were not on the tape, on any of the 20 tapes
I had.  Neither were the amanda executables that were running, or
any other executable that was running on the system at the time of
the backup.  But in my case, the system stuff that wasn't, would
already have been installed as part of the cd's re-install on the
new hard drive, so thats pretty well a moot point.  I'd restore the
/home dir first in my case as thats where I'd find the latest build
of amanda, and a simple make install from that recovered dir would
fix that.

I came to the conclusion that because I was generating indices, that
there must have been an exclusive lock on the files causing tar to
skip them.  I do not know if this problem is unique to my setup,
unique to just linux, or a general one.

For a while I did a delay of those two DLE,s till the rest was long
since done, and then did the backups of those two DLE's using a no
index dumptype.

I believe this will work, but as the backup time needed is a
variable, and the delay one can program into a DLE entry is fixed,
I now have a couple of scripts that are run as soon as amdump is
done, and which append that particular 50 megabyte pair of files
(indices and configs dirs) to the tape if there is room left on the
tape.  And I've reduced the tapetype size by about 100 megs so that
when balance has been restored, there will always be room on the
tape for them.

So now I have hopefully last nights indices and such on tonights
tape as a regular DLE, and if I can recall how many fm's there are
on a tape, I can search with mt, and immediately recover the
indices that actually made that tape from the end of it.  In my
case it would be an "mt -f /dev/nst0 fsf 36" which should park the
tape ready to read those last two files with dd as I have 35 DLE's.

Others may also have different methods of doing file lock
workarounds, this is just my personal, and not well tested solution
to a not too well discussed problem.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M