Amanda-Users

Re: question (if tape server crash)

2003-02-13 07:45:33
Subject: Re: question (if tape server crash)
From: "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas AT raad.tartu DOT ee>
To: David.Lee AT arvatousa DOT com, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 13:10:26 +0200
Hi!

> If the tape server is crashed, and I  reinstall Amanda, can the NEW tape
> server
> recognize previous backup tapes and retrive the files?
> It looks unlikely.

Why do you think it looks unlikely?

The backups done by Amanda are in dump or tar format, and I don't
see why you couldn't read the tapes with restore or tar, respectively.

The only thing you lose in tape server crash are the index files. But
that just means you can't use amrecover and must use amrestore.
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas AT raad.tartu DOT ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* If you cannot change your mind, are you sure you have one?