Amanda-Users

Re: [amanda AT fractal.Mines DOT EDU: DDS4backup AMANDA PROBLEM: FIX BEFORE RUN, IF POSSIBLE]

2003-02-13 08:18:35
Subject: Re: [amanda AT fractal.Mines DOT EDU: DDS4backup AMANDA PROBLEM: FIX BEFORE RUN, IF POSSIBLE]
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Michael Robbert <mrobbert AT Mines DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 06:34:24 -0500

From: Amanda user <amanda AT fractal.Mines DOT EDU>

>>>To: amanda AT fractal.Mines DOT EDU, mrobbert AT mines DOT edu
>>>Subject: DDS4backup AMANDA PROBLEM: FIX BEFORE RUN, IF POSSIBLE
>>>     version=2.31
>>>
>>>Amanda Tape Server Host Check
>>>-----------------------------
>>>Holding disk /holding/amanda: 6128768 KB disk space available,
>>>using 6026368 KB Holding disk /storage/amanda: 40446788 KB disk
>>>space available, using 40344388 KB
>>>amcheck-server: slot 2: date 20030212 label DDS4backup05 (active
>>> tape) amcheck-server: slot 3: date 20030212 label DDS4backup05
>>> (active tape) amcheck-server: slot 4: date 20030212 label
>>> DDS4backup05 (active tape) amcheck-server: slot 5: date
>>> 20030212 label DDS4backup05 (active tape) amcheck-server: fatal
>>> slot 6: Cleaning Cartridge Installed and Ejected
>>
>>Gaack! Either its not advancing the magazine, or you've labeled
>> all tapes alike. If the latter, I'm fairly certain that amlabel
>> would have had a litter of kittens over that.
>>
>>Which is it?
>
>Neither, I have watched it advance the tapes and you can tell by
> the fact that it loaded a cleaning tape from slot 6 that
> different tapes are getting used. And I am sure that I labeled
> all these tapes properly, I had to use -f because amlabel thought
> they were labeled even before I labeled them.  I also know that
> this isn't acurate because when I watch the drive it loads the
> tape, but never rewinds or reads the tape to see what label is
> actually on it.

Thats odd unless this changer has a barcode reader or some other
means of identifying the tape.

The tapes should be labeled with some sort of a unique label per
tape, and one that satisfies the regex pattern in your amanda.conf.
When labeling new tapes with a never before used label, one
shouldn't need to use the -f option.

If they are in fact labeled as DDS4Backup01, DDS4Backup02,
DDS4Backup03 etc then the -f option shouldn't be needed.

Please post the label pattern line from your amanda.conf.

>>>ERROR: new tape not found in rack
>>>      (expecting a new tape)
>>>NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
>>>NOTE: info dir
>>> /var/lib/amanda/DDS4backup/curinfo/ito/_usr_local: does not
>>> exist NOTE: index dir
>>>/var/lib/amanda/DDS4backup/index/ito/_usr_local: does not exist
>>>NOTE: info dir /var/lib/amanda/DDS4backup/curinfo/ito/_u1: does
>>>not exist NOTE: index dir
>>>/var/lib/amanda/DDS4backup/index/ito/_u1: does not exist Server
>>>check took 254.892 seconds

Ahh, I missed that line.  Can I blame it on the poor formatting as
it was rx'd here?  Ny apologies in any event.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M