Amanda-Users

Re: dumper dying, out of memory

2003-02-10 16:52:11
Subject: Re: dumper dying, out of memory
From: John Oliver <joliver AT john-oliver DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 13:08:03 -0800
On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 03:45:31PM -0500, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 at 11:37am, John Oliver wrote
>
> > ~19GB.  But the failure happens when it's also trying to back up a
> > bunch of other stuff.  That's my question... why doesn't amanda save
> > this big partition for a run with other incremental backups, so there
> > *will* be room?
>
> Well, again, if the dumpers are getting killed, the EOT message may be a
> red herring.  But, if that's not the reason, then amanda *thinks*
> everything it's grabbing will fit in the tapelength you've defined.  If
> it's mistaken in this, then it's possible that things aren't compressing
> like it thought they would, or something is estimating wrong, or...

So... how do I deal with this?  I'm not seeing any logs that are
helping.

Why would the dumper be running out of memory?  The machine that the
amanda server is running on has 512MB RAM, 1GB swap, and 72GB of disk
space.  The holding disk is ~2.3GB, but it wouldn't let me make one any
bigger, *and* this was working just fine last week and earlier this
week.  Wednesday the 5th is the first day this Out Of Memory: Killed
process error happened.

--
John Oliver, CCNA                            http://www.john-oliver.net/
Linux/UNIX/network consulting         http://www.john-oliver.net/resume/