Amanda-Users

Re: dumper dying, out of memory

2003-02-07 15:07:50
Subject: Re: dumper dying, out of memory
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: John Oliver <joliver AT john-oliver DOT net>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 14:18:05 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 at 10:09am, John Oliver wrote

> Feb  7 06:04:56 backup kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 11111
> (dumper).

This is a separate issue than running out of tape.  Are you actually
hitting EOT?  What's in /var/log/messages besies the OOM.

BTW, what amanda version are you running?  Recent versions have fixed some
memory leaks.

> I keep getting:
>
> FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>   cm         /dev/hda2 lev 0 FAILED [out of tape]
>   cm         /dev/hda2 lev 0 FAILED [dump to tape failed]
>
> I thought amanda would be smart enough to know that if this one
> partition is too big, then it would schedule it with fewer other things
> to make room.  But this keeps happening every day... how do I fix?

If you *are* hitting EOT, how big is that partition actually?

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering