Amanda-Users

Re: Problem with stacker mode

2003-02-05 11:34:27
Subject: Re: Problem with stacker mode
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: yam <yam AT debianized DOT org>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 10:57:18 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 at 10:50am, yam wrote

> I have been using amanda for over a year. Having HP SureStore Autoloader
> (9 tapes carrusel). It's been ok during that time.
>
> Now, since I have to backup a big disk, I have decided to change the
> autoloader operation mode from random mode, to stacker mode... Thats means
> now it doesnt have a 9 tapes carrusel but a big tape (tape capacity = 9
> DLT 40/80 tapes).

>From looking at the docs and some quick googling, I don't think stacker
mode works like this.  Yes, it will automatically load the next tape when
it hits EOT, but I don't see any indications that the autoloader firmware
virtualizes this and presents one contiguous tape to the OS.

So you're going to have to split that big fs up (using tar).  Whether you
stay in stacker mode or go back to random is up to you.  Myself, I'd go
back to random.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering