Amanda-Users

Re: strange dump message

2003-02-05 11:19:29
Subject: Re: strange dump message
From: Martin Schwarz <Martin.Schwarz AT toplink-plannet DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 16:44:39 +0100
Hello Eric,

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 09:01:10AM -0500, Eric Sproul wrote:
> ? /dev/sda1: EXT2 directory corrupted while converting directory #41021
[...]

> I tried looking for an explanation for the "EXT2 directory corrupted"
> dump message, but all I could find was basically "we don't know what it
> is, just fsck it and move on".  That isn't good enough for me.  ;)
> Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be causing grief to the server's
> normal operation, but it is preventing me from getting a backup.
>
> Has anyone else run across this problem?  How did you solve it?

I have seen the same error message a few times (on Debian 3.0, too, but
I don't think that matters).

AFAIK (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!) this "error" is the
result of dumping an active (mounted) filesystem on which files are
being changed during the dump run. fsck checks I have run afterwards (on
the umounted fs) have shown no errors.  The incident still is very
annoying since "the ENTIRE dump is aborted" leaving me without a backup
for this DLE.

My solution was to switch from dump to gnutar. I still get messages
files that have changed during the read operation etc. but these do not
cause the whole DLE to fail.

Bye,
Martin
--
Martin.Schwarz AT toplink-plannet DOT de                   toplink-plannet GmbH
Network Operations Engineer                            Schönfeldstraße 8