Amanda-Users

RE: Full backup to tape, incrementals to disk?

2003-02-05 05:33:58
Subject: RE: Full backup to tape, incrementals to disk?
From: "Dieter Meinert" <DMeinert AT roseninspection DOT net>
To: "Toralf Lund" <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 10:59:30 +0100

Try to set it all up for harddisk backup, and flush fulls
to tape after amanda has finished her job. Thus you also
have the fulls on disk for recovery.

Or maybe you really want two configs, one of them an
archive run with only full backups ?

 Regards
                                                        Dieter Meinert

***********
 * Dr. Dieter Meinert
           *
 * c/o H. Rosen Engineering GmbH    Phone +49-591-9136-493
           *
 * Am Seitenkanal 8                 Fax +49-591-9136-121
           *
 * D-49811 Lingen (Ems)             Email
dmeinert AT roseninspection DOT net *
 * Germany
           *

|=> Subject: Full backup to tape, incrementals to disk?
|=>
|=>
|=> I seem to remember that something like this has been
|=> discussed before, but
|=> I couldn't find anything in the archives ;-/
|=>
|=> Anyhow, I'm thinking about setting up a config with
|full  => backups to tape
|=> and incrementals to harddisk - due to limited tape
|capacity  => (yes, I know
|=> incrementals are usually small, but we have some
|=> filesystems with large
|=> files that change a lot), and to allow for faster
|recovery  => (at the expense
|=> of security, to a certain degree.)
|=>
|=> Is there a simple way to do that with Amanda 2.4.3? -
|Seems  => like I can
|=> quite easily set up one config for the fulls and one
|for  => the incrementals,
|=> but I also need some way to "link" the two, so that the
| => level returns
|=> correctly to level 1 for the incremental when a full
|backup  => has been
|=> executed. Also, I would really prefer to have a common
|=> index, so separate
|=> configs may not be quite what I want in any case.
|=>
|=> --
|=> - Toralf
|=>