Amanda-Users

Full backup to tape, incrementals to disk?

2003-02-05 04:43:39
Subject: Full backup to tape, incrementals to disk?
From: Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 10:00:42 +0100
I seem to remember that something like this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything in the archives ;-/

Anyhow, I'm thinking about setting up a config with full backups to tape and incrementals to harddisk - due to limited tape capacity (yes, I know incrementals are usually small, but we have some filesystems with large files that change a lot), and to allow for faster recovery (at the expense of security, to a certain degree.)

Is there a simple way to do that with Amanda 2.4.3? - Seems like I can quite easily set up one config for the fulls and one for the incrementals, but I also need some way to "link" the two, so that the level returns correctly to level 1 for the incremental when a full backup has been executed. Also, I would really prefer to have a common index, so separate configs may not be quite what I want in any case.

--
- Toralf