Amanda-Users

Re: New tapetype

2003-02-04 16:58:43
Subject: Re: New tapetype
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: barryc <barryc AT rjlsystems DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 16:17:38 -0500
On Tuesday 04 February 2003 11:51, barryc wrote:
>This may sound like a dumb question, but wouldn't it be easier to
> just use a bulk tape eraser (read: nicely powerful electromagnet)
> to completely wipe the tape and then relable it?

Gaaachk!!!!

Do that, and drop it in the dustbin as that tape will never, ever be
recognized by a drive again.  I tried that too, and when I had
rigged a strong enough eraser to actually wipe the tape (that tape
is quite 'hard' magneticly speaking, and the average audio cassette
eraser won't "bither it a bot":), then the tape would be self
ejecting when inserted into the drive.  The drives (two different
DDS2 drives) made multiple attempts to read it, taking several
minutes, but in the end it gave up and ejected the tape.

Presumably the tape could be reformatted at the factory in their
special drives, but I know of no other way to rescue such an erased
tape.

[...]

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M