Amanda-Users

RAIT?

2002-12-23 23:25:01
Subject: RAIT?
From: Adrian Terranova <peril AT hockey.tookmymoney DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 03:56:15 +0000
I just noticed the 2.43 RAIT capabilites in the docs directory, and
wondered if anyone has set this up with decent high capacity drives
(LTO AIT, SDLT)? (5 x SDLT 160 = ~640GB )

Is performance 4 x the single drive? (with a 5 drive setup) Is there any
significant performance
penalty for calculating the parity (CPU load/speed)?

Are you comfortable with it? Do all of the tools work with it
(amverify, amrecover, amcheck, amadmin )? In the event of a
restore/diaster, does the tape drive order matter (ie - lets say a
restore to another box is required, do I have to have the same tape
numbers for the drives in the changer configuration, with the tapes
placed in their respective drives, or can amanda figure out
data/parity just based upon labels/configuration.)

Sorry to be such a leach, but I don't have 5 tape drives. (yet)

BTW - I'm using amanda as a backup system for about 50 systems in
a trading floor environment, and have been thrilled with the quality
of the software. IMHO - it's as good as netbackup for regular filesystem dumps,
and if this rait
stuff gets more integrated with the changers, that's going to make the tape
size limitation less of a
nuisance.

--Adrian