Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda says "No space left on device" on any tape

2002-12-23 23:19:01
Subject: Re: Amanda says "No space left on device" on any tape
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Ivan Zaigralin <ivanz AT ie-sys DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 22:41:17 -0500
On Monday 23 December 2002 20:46, Ivan Zaigralin wrote:
>You were absolutely right!
>
>I ran dd and it failed with the same message.
>
>I ran a search querry (in groups) without "amanda" and
>found out it could be just a reading error. I ran the cleaning
> tape (had to do it twice) and presto, it's working again. I just
> realized, whoever set this up, did not schedule any cleaning,
> although it's as simple as putting a tape in the magazine.
>
>Great, thanks again people, I didn't hope to resolve it on the
> same day :)
>
>Until it fails again.

FWIW, and that may not be a whole lot, once my changer with its 4
tape magazine got into the swing of things, it quit asking for an
occasional cleaning.  I mean it was litterally months ago that I
last ran a clean cycle!  I keep the DDS2 cassettes in their little
plastic boxes when they are not in the magazine, so they are
somewhat protected from the wifes 2-3 pack a day habit.  I used to
keep a cleaning tape in slot 4 just to have it handy, but about a
month back I made that into a normal tape as it was more usefull to
me that way.

Also, some of these changers have an led on the front panel (mine is
labeled "cassette") to indicate that the drive's error rate is
creeping up and that it probably needs cleaned.  In my case a slow
1 second on, 1 second off flash means clean me when you get a
chance, but a more rapid half second per cycle means clean me NOW!
And of course a steady on means the cassette is loaded and ok.

If that rapid flash happens, then I get those messages as the drive
will not accept any other command until that cleaning cycle has
been done.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M