Amanda-Users

Amanda says "No space left on device" on any tape

2002-12-23 17:08:30
Subject: Amanda says "No space left on device" on any tape
From: Ivan Zaigralin <ivanz AT ie-sys DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 13:50:52 -0800

People, you helped me before a great deal, and I'm
ever so thankful. This time the problem is really puzzling.

OK, so I have two magazines here, with 12 tapes each,
labeled 1 to 24. For as long as I've been here, all I had
to do is to insert the next magazine, and everything ran fine.
This time, I inserted the second magazine, flushed some stuff
to tape 13 (I missed a day) and then... Everything broke.

"amtape xxx current" returns almost instantly
"slot x: reading label: No space left on device"
regardless of tape. No matter what tape I insert, amcheck can't
find anything, showing the same error message for every tape
it inspects.

"amtape xxx reset" loads the next tape instead of
going to the slot 1 (that's what it supposed to do, right?).

Configuration files did not change. SCSI setup did not change,
to my best knowledge. (And amanda clearly can find the device,
as I'm able to load other slots.) Tapes did not change. Shoot me,
I can't think of anything I did wrong (but I almost certanly did :)
I can't think even of anything I did different.

I tried to dismount the magazine, tried the first magazine,
tried to power off the drive and power it back on. I did not reboot
the system, as it generates too many phone calls, but I certanly will
if I need to :)

Please, any suggestion will be appreciated. I'm a very green Amanda user,
and this group was of great help to me in the past.

Thanks again.

Ivan