Amanda-Users

Re: I'm in a pickle

2002-12-18 15:47:55
Subject: Re: I'm in a pickle
From: "Caitlyn M. Martin" <cmartin AT rateintegration DOT com>
To: "Jozwiak, Paul" <pjozwiak AT websitepros DOT com>
Date: 18 Dec 2002 15:03:32 -0500
Hi, Paul,

> How feasible is it to
> install Amanda and getting it working like, in one day?  Any and all input
> would greatly appreciated.

If you are only trying to backup a handful of servers initially it is
very feasible.  One thing that sped up the process for me is that we
share /usr/local across a number of Sun boxen, so when I installed
amanda once I had to just go and configure it.  Other boxes which are
stand-alone took a bit more time.

The thing with amanda is that it is very flexible, which means there is
potentially a lot to configure.  There is, of course, no cute GUI
frontend.  However, once you know your way around and have a working
amanda.conf file and a proper disklist, it's really easy to just add
servers.

Have fun!

Caity