Amanda-Users

Re: I'm in a pickle

2002-12-18 15:30:43
Subject: Re: I'm in a pickle
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: "Jozwiak, Paul" <pjozwiak AT websitepros DOT com>, "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 13:55:45 -0600
There are certainly people on this list that could get Amanda running in
a day, but a lot depends on your environment:  single- or multi-platform
(and which ones), number and capacity of tapes, drives, and libraries, amount
of data to back up, etc.  Installing on a single popular unix/linux OS with a
single library should be doable in a day (although two would be a safer bet), if
you thoroughly read the docs and ask questions properly on the list (that means
including all relevant details of your setup, exactly what you were trying to
do, the exact results or error messages, and relevant log file snippets), so
that you can get an answer right off instead of having to post follow-ups.
   Be aware that from a cold start you need to do a full backup of everything
right away, so unless you have very large and fast tapes and/or not too much
data, you may not be physically able to get it all backed up today.  Amanda
normally spreads the fulls around to different days so it's not a problem in
the future, but when you first start out there are no fulls to do incrementals
on.

Frank

--On Wednesday, December 18, 2002 14:01:51 -0500 "Jozwiak, Paul" <pjozwiak AT