ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Does TSM Have a way to Automatically Determine How many CPU'S aka processors a server has

2010-04-23 12:48:34
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Does TSM Have a way to Automatically Determine How many CPU'S aka processors a server has
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:46:31 -0400
>> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:27:38 -0400, David W Daniels/AC/VCU <dwdaniel AT VCU
>> DOT EDU> said:

> All I'm sorry if i confused anyone or seem confused myself. No we
> currently know how many our current 5 TSM server's have. I was trying to
> get a count of processors of our 400+ user(client machine). Thanks
> everyone who has replied.

We know what you're asking for, and you're not confused either, except
to the extent that it's baffling that IBM would do things that way.

For me, getting the answer to this question involves about a week's
sporadic effort, including a round trip survey to all of my client
admins.  Everone involved knows the answer is wrong, but I do enough
of a chicken dance around the process to establish good faith
intentions to pay what I owe.

Yell at your business partner.  Express shocked dismay that IBM would
do something so stupid.  Demand justification from your regional
high-up client rep.  Stress the extra "managability" costs this
procedure hides, and carefully note that these costs will have to be
factored into new decisions about what backup technology will be used.

And expect to be disappointed.

I don't know wether TSM's Product Manager would like CCs, or if he
might just feel henpecked about it.  He's a good company man.  I
haven't heard him speak against the policy.  But I haven't heard him
laud its benefits, either.  On the one hand, a list of client
complaints might be useful for him.  On the other hand, I don't think
he's short of them. :)

- Allen S. Rout