ADSM-L

Re: Backing up very large Filesystems...

2006-10-20 13:09:19
Subject: Re: Backing up very large Filesystems...
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 13:08:31 -0400
>> On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 10:50:09 +0100, "Bernaldo de Quiros, Iban 1"
>> <iban.bernaldodequiros AT SUN DOT COM> said:

> I am planning to backup very large Filesystems (GPFS filesystems),
> about 37 TB and more , does exists a White Paper or best practices
> to do that

Consider virtualmountpoints; these let you separate all kinds of
processing.  Independant storage volumes, independant incremental
processing, etc.

With separate filespaces, you can also make the reclamation
independant; this can be very useful if your file sizes on that huge
tract of land are normal.  You'll be talking many many millions; it
could take days of expiration to cover it.

If it's one big filespace, expiration has to finish the whole
filespace before it goes on.  That could be sticky in your case.

If your filespace is full of big (multi-GB) files, this might not be a
big deal.

- Allen S. Rout