ADSM-L

TSM on a virtual machine?

2006-10-20 12:15:26
Subject: TSM on a virtual machine?
From: Keith Arbogast <warbogas AT INDIANA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 12:07:03 -0400
Is anyone running a production TSM server on a virtual machine?  If
so, what has been your experience, good and bad?

We are analyzing that possibility, and will do extensive testing
beforehand, but we would like to know what experience others have had
so we don't go down too many wrong paths.

We are running VMWare ESX 2.5.3 on HP DL585 servers.  We would be
backing up Windows and Redhat Linux virtual machines as well as AIX
physical Web and App servers, and physical Oracle 10g databases.  We
would run the most current version of TSM.

We know of the various options available to back up virtual
machines.  What we're asking is how does a virtual machine do as a
TSM server?

With my thanks,
Keith Arbogast
Indiana University