ADSM-L

Re: Backing up very large Filesystems...

2006-10-22 13:36:07
Subject: Re: Backing up very large Filesystems...
From: BEYERS Kurt <Kurt.BEYERS AT VRT DOT BE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 19:34:57 +0200
Hi,

I think that the backup will be started only from one proxy node. And thus not
load balanced across the servers that are member from the GPFS. And what is
even worse, the restore cannot be load balanced across multiple servers. In
case of a disaster recovery, a lot of TB's must be restored. Here it certainly
would help if TSM would load balance it across nodes. If all servers have
dedicated FC HBA's to the tape library and enough tape drives are available,
the process could be accelerated a lot here.

In our setup, we spread the backup manually across the nodes that are member of
the GPFS cluster. And the backup is started by using a virtualnodename instead
of the proxy node setup that is discussed in the technote. So the backup is for
TSM also a 1 'virtual' node backup, although it is started from multiple
physical nodes. Does the proxy setup offers other advantages?

best regards,
Kurt