ADSM-L

Re: 3584 checkin/checkout

2006-05-05 02:27:28
Subject: Re: 3584 checkin/checkout
From: Jurjen Oskam <jurjen AT STUPENDOUS DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 08:27:04 +0200
On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 12:01:49PM -0500, John Monahan wrote:

> The whole point of using scripts is so you don't have any manual tasks
> *unless* something is wrong.  I would consider an open library door as
> something being wrong.

I meant that it probably would be wise to not use the WAITTIME=0 parameter
and use the REPLY mechanism. The REPLY would then only be sent when the
operator acknowledges (via a menu or something) that he closed the door.

The handling of the REPLY can be scripted of course, i.e.: the operator
doesn't need to be in dsmadmc and issue the REPLY himself.

> Automation scripts also won't work if someone powers off the library.
> Seriously, you can't expect a TSM admin to write automation scripts to
> cover every possible instance of human error.  Technology can't fix
> stupid.

True, but if you can foresee errors which are easy to make that have
large(ish) consequences, it's silly not to think about how to prevent
either the error or the consequences.

--
Jurjen Oskam

Savage's Law of Expediency: