ADSM-L

Re: 3584 checkin/checkout

2006-05-04 08:34:47
Subject: Re: 3584 checkin/checkout
From: Bill Kelly <KELLYWH AT AUBURN DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 07:34:21 -0500
Both of these processes require scripting in order to automate things to
the point that the 3584 appears more 3494-ish.  We use a perl script to
kick off the 'move drm' command (or 'checkout libv' command, take your
pick) and monitor the TSM server messages via a dsmadmc -consolemode
session.  If the script sees a message indicating that the I/O bin is
full, we issue a message to the operator running the script and wait for
them to indicate that it's okay to proceed.

On the checkin side, I don't think you can have the 3584 automagically
move tapes from the I/O bin to empty slots (and if you could, I don't
think the library would tell TSM where they are...and how would either
the library or TSM know whether the tapes are private or scratch?).
Again, we script this, having the script do 'move drm' commands for
specific volumes to be checked in, issuing a 'checkin libv' command and
monitoring the server log for success/failure messages.

With SCSI-type tape libraries, there's a lot more work to be done by
people and/or scripts than there is with a 3494.

Regards,
Bill

Bill Kelly
Auburn University OIT
334-844-9917

>>> "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM> 05/03/06 11:32 PM

I'm wondering if I'm missing anything in our setup of the 3584 as it
relates
to incoming and outgoing tapes. Currently the mainframe sends alerts to
the
operators when the I/O port is full on the 3494 and needs emptying.
Once
empty the checkout of tapes can continues. I was wondering how others
manage
that on a 3584. Is there a way to send alerts when the port is full?
I'd
hate to come in and find all the tapes were not ejected because the
job
could not continue.

Second question relates to checking in tapes. On the 3494 you can
insert
tapes to the I/O port and it automatically empties it and put tapes
into
empty slots. I don't see this available with a 3584, but easily could
have
missed it, so I'm wondering if there is a way to change a setting on
the
library or automate this.

Thanks,

Geoff Gill

TSM Administrator

PeopleSoft Sr. Systems Administrator

SAIC M/S-G1b

(858)826-4062

Email:  <mailto:geoffrey.l.gill AT saic DOT com> geoffrey.l.gill AT saic DOT com