ADSM-L

Re: retrieve problem with GUI interface

2005-09-08 12:14:25
Subject: Re: retrieve problem with GUI interface
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 11:09:29 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager on behalf of Thomas Denier
When we see this kind of problem at our site it is frequently the result
of using the wrong account. Under Unix, retrieving or even listing
archived files normally requires being either root or the owner of
the files. I think there are analogous rules for Windows, but I couldn't
find any discussion of this point in the Windows client manual.

<sound of hollow laughter>

I deal with the Lovecraftian intersection of TSM and Windows permissions
regularly. Yes, there are such issues with Windows.

My favorite is the (default) use of the Windows SYSTEM system ID to run the TSM
scheduler service, and the fact that there are a number of Windows
administrators that normally strip SYSTEM of any permissions anywhere for
anything. (Hint, guys: there are *no* security-based needs to do that.) Not
only will a scheduled backup not back up any files that such stripping has been
performed upon, TSM won't even know such files exist. Hence, they don't get
backed up and no one notices that until an attempted restore occurs.

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.stapleton AT berbee DOT com) <mailto:mark.stapleton AT
berbee DOT com)>