ADSM-L

Re: DB2 UDB and TSM question

2005-09-08 13:45:47
Subject: Re: DB2 UDB and TSM question
From: "John E. Vincent" <adsm-l-alias AT CLACORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:45:28 -0400
This was my thought as well except I would backup the existing
devconfigs,volhists and database and restore over the production server.
Since we don't have a spare box right now.

I am concerned however that db2 might keep the backup history internally
and have no record of it once its been deleted.

I did see somewhere that I could extract the backup file itself from the
tape to a filesystem and restore from THAT but that leads to the
question of how to get a good snapshot off all the backups onto tape and
offsite that isn't dependent on the original storage pool it was copied
from.

Mark D. Rodriguez wrote:
John,

I think you might have been able to recover from your situation.  Now
this is just theory since I have not ever had a chance to try this in a
test environment.  If you were still within the window of the following
conditions: you had a valid TSM DB backup and your reuse delay for the
involved tapes ( I would use the copypool tapes) has not past.  You
could then restore your server on to a separate instance from
production.  You would then have to configure enough hardware to that
server so that you could access the tapes,  If you are using copypool
tapes then mark all the primary tapes as destroyed.  Now establish
server to server communications between the two TSM servers.  Then you
could export the node data back to the production machine.

Obviously this is a high level list of what needs to be done.  There are
quite a few details that I have left out but I just wanted to get the
concept across.