ADSM-L

Re: TSM license audit not equal number of nodes

2004-03-25 14:36:18
Subject: Re: TSM license audit not equal number of nodes
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 14:35:04 -0500
Hi Joe,

Thanks for your response.

You are right, the way the TSM server counts licenses has nothing to do with
what you are required to buy.  In TSM V2 and V3 it did, but in V4 and V5
they changed the buying requirements, but didn't much change the server
code.

I understand your frustration with not getting a straight answer on
licensing.  Last year when we tried to renew our maintenance agreeement, we
got 3 different quotes from 3 different people; lowest was 10K, highest was
30K, middle (the correct one) was 18K.

I work with an IBM Business partner, we sat down and STUDIED the doc
available on the Tivoli Business partner site.  The doc explaining what you
have to buy is there, but many BP's  don't bother to read it or don't
understand it; MANY give you incorrect quotes because they don't understand
that workstations and servers are licensed differently (and many of their
customers back up only servers, so I suspect the question never comes up).

Here is the actual deal for what you are required to buy:

There are 2 TSM server products:  TSM V5 and TSM V5 Extended Edition.  They
have different product numbers.

If you do NOT need DRM, HSM, or Server to Server, and your tape library has
at most 40 slots, you qualify for TSM V5; if not you must buy Extended
Edition.

There is NO charge for a TSM server; you can run as many as you like.  You
are charged based on the number of machines  you back up.  The charge is
higher per client under TSM V5 EE than TSM V5.  The TSM server counts as a
server being backed up.

A CLIENT/WORKSTATION is a computer that provides NO SERVICES to another
computer.  If you have a big machine with 4 processors that is used by an
engineer to do CAD drawings and DOESN"T PROVIDE SERVICES to other machines
on your network, that is a WORKSTATION.

If you have a very tiny old machine with 1 processor that is used as a
firewall or print server, that machine is providing services to other
machines, so it counts as a SERVER.

You count the number of CLIENT/WORKSTATIONs you have; each one needs 1
CLIENT/WORKSTATION license.

For your SERVER machines, you count the number of physical processors in all
the machines to get the number of SERVER/PROCESSOR licenses you need.

SO if you have, say, 2 stand-alone graphics boxes and 5 desktop PC's to back
up, you would need 7 CLIENT/WORKSTATION licenses.  The number of processors
in those machines is irrelevant.

If you have 5 servers with 4 processors and 3 servers with 2 processors that
you back up, you would need to buy 26 SERVER/PROCESSOR licenses.  (5*4 +
3*2).

SERVER/PROCESSOR licenses cost more than CLIENT/WORKSTATION licenses; so
IT'S IMPORTANT to get your count correctly.  Many VARS will ask you "how
many processors do you have, it's licensed by processor...", but that AIN'T
SO for workstations.  If you are backing up any workstaions, MAKE SURE your
VAR's bid breaks out those two numbers, or you'll be charged too much.

If you have more than 1 TSM node name registered for one of your servers,
that doesn't matter.  You don't have to buy more licenses.

The TDP's have their OWN product numbers.  They are also licensed by the
number of processors in the machines where the TDP is installed.  Each
machine must ALSO be counted in your SERVER/PROCESSOR count for the basic
TSM client, because you have to install the basic client along with the TDP
(to get the API code).

That's it, in terms of paying for client licenses.

And that has nothing to do with the number of client licenses you register
with the REGISTER LICENSE command.  You register one MGSYSLAN license for
each node name you will have defined to TSM.

And as you see from prevous discussions, in V4 IBM stated clearly that you
were not required to have licenses for machines that had not backed up in
over 30 days.  For V5, nobody seems to be sure what the cutoff date is...

Hope that was some help.

Wanda Prather
"I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O"  -(me)