ADSM-L

Re: TSM license audit not equal number of nodes

2004-03-10 12:10:32
Subject: Re: TSM license audit not equal number of nodes
From: "William F. Colwell" <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 10:23:01 -0500
David,

IBM still does charge by node if you say the node is not a server.

It is up to us, the customers, to characterize the machines to be backed up
and then buy the proper number and kind of licenses.

If you say a machine is a single user desktop, even if it has 2 processors and
has more raw power than some of your servers, you need just 1 desktop license
which
is about a fifth of the price of a server license.

The TSM pricing model is now function based.  The license to backup a server is
more
expensive because the value to you is greater than the value of an end user
desktop backup.

Hope this helps,

Bill Colwell

At 08:04 AM 3/10/2004, you wrote:
>Nancy,
>
>As far as I can tell it no longer matters what the TSM software thinks
>you have as far as number of nodes; just tell it you have enough to make
>it shut up.
>
>The reason it no longer matters is that IBM no longer charges you by
>node but by processor and the TSM software auditing component does not
>know about processors.  TSM software auditing is a relict of a simpler
>day.
>
>David

>We are in the process of ordering a TSM upgrade (from 4.1 to 5.1 or
>5.2)
>and are having pricing issues. I ran a license audit to see what we
>are
>using now and it showed 108 "Managed System for LAN" licenses in use
>(of
>200), but we only have 78 nodes registered. I do not understand the
>discrepancy. Can anyone explain it to me?
>

>Nancy Reeves
>Technical Support, Wichita State University
>Nancy.Reeves AT wichita DOT edu          316-978-3860

Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Cambridge Ma.