ADSM-L

Question about recovery log

2004-03-25 14:43:02
Subject: Question about recovery log
From: "Thach, Kevin G" <KThach AT COVHLTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 14:42:16 -0500
I'm confused about how I should go about changing the configuration of
my recovery log.  I'm hoping someone can point me in the right
direction.

I currently have eight, 1GB log volumes, and I'm wanting to replace
these with a single 13GB volume.

Normally, I would just create and define the new volume using the def
dbvol command, and then remove the old volumes, but since there is a
13GB limit on the recovery log, I can't do that.

What's the best way for me to do this?  Is there any way I can do it
with the server up and running?  Switch to Normal mode, remove the old
volumes, create the new one, etc.  I'm assuming that TSM will not allow
me to completely get rid of all my log volumes while the server is up
(even if in Normal mode), which is what I would have to do in order to
add the 13GB one.

Do I need to shut down the server, remove the old volumes and define the
new one with the dsmfmt -m -log command?

I'm running TSM 5.1.7.3 on AIX 5.1

Thanks!