ADSM-L

overland tape library?

2003-03-19 14:24:04
Subject: overland tape library?
From: Alexander Lazarevich <alazarev AT ITG.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 13:23:53 -0600
Hey,

Does anyone use the Overland Storage Neo 4100 or 4200 LTO-1 tape library
with TSM 5.1 server?

We are upgrading our tape library and our ADSM server (3.1 -> 5.1), and
are trying to decide what library to get. We've been looking at the IBM
3583-L36 Tape Library, which uses 36 LTO-1 tapes, up to 7TB compressed
capacity, with two LTO drives, which is gonna cost about 36K.

But I recently found out about Overland storage which sells a product
called NEO4100, with 3 LTO-1 drives, 60 tape slots, up to 12TB capacity
compressed, which sells for about 30K.

So it seems like for 6K less we can get almost twice the capacity, with an
extra drive! That extra drive would totally kick butt. But if Overland
hardware sucks and breaks and doesn't work well with TSM 5.1, then screw
it.

Any comments?

Thanks in advance!

Alex
   Alex Lazarevich | Systems Administrator | Imaging Technology Group
            Beckman Institute - University of Illinois
       alazarev AT itg.uiuc DOT edu | (217)244-1565 | www.itg.uiuc.edu