ADSM-L

Re: License Pricing

2003-03-19 14:15:08
Subject: Re: License Pricing
From: "Kelly J. Lipp" <lipp AT STORSOL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 12:17:48 -0700
>From a sales standpoint, this makes sense when taken in the larger context.

In the old days...

We paid for Extended Library, DRM, etc.  Basically paid all this money on
the server side rather than the client side.

In the new days, we pay $625 for the server and then $625 per
processor/client.

For moderately sized sites, say up to 50-75 clients/processors, it works out
to be about the same.

For small sites, TSM is now much less expensive.

For large sites, TSM is now much more expensive.

What needs to happen, and what those of us who sell TSM are trying to
influence, is a sliding client price scale.  Or perhaps the elimination of
the per processor nature of this pricing.  Most systems have two processors
now so the real cost is $1250 per client which is probably outrageous.

There is the Server Lite variant of this.  This is for small TSM server
environments: 40 slots, 3 drives or less, no DRM.  Per processor client
price is much less than $625.

Clearly this needs to shake out a bit.  In the meantime, IBM recognizes the
problem (so why don't they fix it?) and will discount when you scream.

I believe they need creative input on this issue rather than the rants they
are getting.  They must compete, but they must do so on an even footing.
The way TSM was priced before did not compete well.  The cost of entry was
too high.   Now the cost is born on the client side where it should have
been all along, but it now needs tweaking.  Let's help our friends at IBM
work this out.

Thanks,

Kelly J. Lipp
STORServer, Inc.
485-B Elkton Drive
Colorado Springs, CO 80907
lipp AT storsol DOT com or kelly.lipp AT storserver DOT com
www.storsol.com or www.storserver.com
(719)531-5926
Fax: (240)539-7175