ADSM-L

Re: Journaling

2002-11-07 15:26:12
Subject: Re: Journaling
From: Rajesh Oak <rajeshoak AT LYCOS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 15:22:23 -0500
Maybe it is an option worth investing in. We have to backup a couple of NAS
boxes on AIX TSM 4.2 Server. There are a couple of million files on the NAS box
that have to checked during backup. Journaling would be helpful in this
situation.
The other situation where Journaling would be helpful is support for AIX. We
have a couple of AIX Servers that have 6-7 million files. The backup is about
60 GB for those Servers but the backup runs for 10 hours.
Tivoli should seriously think about extending the Journaling support to AIX and
NAS boxes.

Rajesh Oak
Storage Administration
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan.
--

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002 14:56:43
 Pete Tanenhaus wrote:
>Unfortunately this is beyond our (development's) control.
>
>The Microsoft Win32 api used to monitor file system changes does not
>support non-local file systems.
>
>It might be possible to write some sort of file system extension (filter)
>to implement this type of support but
>it would be a major development undertaking and would involve a
>considerable investment of time and
>resource which I'm not sure management would be willing to consider.
>

>Pete Tanenhaus
>Tivoli Storage Solutions Software Development
>email: tanenhau AT us.ibm DOT com
>tieline: 320.8778, external: 607.754.4213
>
>"Those who refuse to challenge authority are condemned to conform to it"
>
>---------------------- Forwarded by Pete Tanenhaus/San Jose/IBM on
>11/07/2002 02:52 PM ---------------------------
>
>"Whitlow, Don" <Don.Whitlow AT QG DOT COM>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 11/07/2002
>02:24:36
>PM
>
>Please respond to "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
>
>Sent by:    "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
>

>To:    ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>cc:
>Subject:    Re: Journaling
>

>I may be adding more questions than I am answering, but why should it
>matter
>if a disk is SAN-based vs. DAS (local)? I would assume journaling would
>work
>at the drive letter (logical) level, meaning it would be clueless as to the
>underlying disk access method. To the O/S and software, it should just look
>like a drive/volume.
>
>Maybe I'm missing something more to the puzzle. But I would think it would
>work for you.
>
>Good luck
>Don

Outgrown your current e-mail service? Get 25MB Storage, POP3 Access,
Advanced Spam protection with LYCOS MAIL PLUS.