ADSM-L

Re: Journaling

2002-11-08 01:18:25
Subject: Re: Journaling
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 00:17:45 -0600
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Murray, Jim
> Does this mean that any server attached to a SAN will do a FULL backup of
> the files on the SAN vice an incremental?  Isn't this the API
> behind the TSM
> incremental forever philosophy?

No. What it means is that you can't do journaling on non-local disks. This
means backups cannot take advantage of what journaling gives--the ability to
do directory scans prior to backups. On very large filesystems it takes TSM
some time to do the directory scan required for a backup. I've seen
directory scans on very large file servers (admittedly NetWare servers) take
as much as two hours before a single byte is backed up. Journaling
circumvents this and gets data moving across the wire much faster.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE