ADSM-L

Re: BareMetalRestore

2002-09-05 21:30:56
Subject: Re: BareMetalRestore
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 15:21:10 -0500
I'm going to jump in here with both feet, because I keep seeing the 'Bare
Metal Restore' stuff come up. I may be suffering from too narrow a
viewpoint, but from where I sit, BMR during a disaster recovery must work
EXACTLY like BMR back home. And the implication is that I have NO running
systems at start. (I can get away with this, because we've done exactly ONE
restore that would qualify as 'bare metal' here at NIBCO in the past 6
years. If I go back any further, we need to talk about BMR for MVS/ESA and
GCOS-3).

So, to even consider the process, I need full BMR of the BMR server (if it's
a seperate box) AND the TSM server.

Or, to put it slightly differently, I've a box of LTO tape and A (ONE)
bootable install media for ONE system. The requirement is to get everything
up from there. The Veritas website seems to be broken -- not getting any
information about BMR; is AIX a supported platform for the BMR server?

Sorry -- I'll go crawl back under my rock :-)

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc