ADSM-L

Re: BareMetalRestore

2002-09-06 16:09:54
Subject: Re: BareMetalRestore
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 14:16:41 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Gill, Geoffrey L.
> I'm just wondering how serious IBM is about getting TSM to "WORK" with the
> various OS software vendors, i.e. Microsoft, HP, Compaq, Sun and the like,
> to find out what it takes to get it's product to do bare metal
> restores. If TKG could make it work why can't IBM? Or don't these guys
talk > to each other?

Geoffrey, have you ever done development where you're trying to support
multiple OS and hardware environments from other vendors? It's damn near
impossible, particularly given the poor quality of much of Microsoft's API
documentation. The nightmare grows exponentially when you consider how many
hundreds and hundreds of NICs and hard disk controllers a BMR product must
support when it comes to Windows boxes. *And*, given all this, imagine what
an adequate test lab Tivoli would have to set up to test all these
combinations.

Besides, any good admin could build customized procedures that mimic what
the Kernel Group's BMR product uses. There are perfectly sound procedures
for BMRing (is that a verb?) a Windows box.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE