ADSM-L

Re: Exchange bases ...

2002-08-30 04:23:20
Subject: Re: Exchange bases ...
From: Daniel Sparrman <daniel.sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:19:50 +0200
Hi

One way of securing mails to a storage devices is to use IBM CommonStore
for Exchange. This is actually a archiving product, but will let you store
single mail/mailboxes on a storage device. You can also set the retention
period, retain versions for CommonStore, so that if a mail is deleted, TSM
will still hold the mail for a pre-set amount of days.

The products doing brick-level backup of Exchange doesn't use the MS
Exchange backup API, rather the MAPI(Mail application programming
interface). This means that if MS is to change something in Exchange,
there is a good chance that backups and restores will fail, due to changes
in the API.

You can use the Veritas BackupExec client to do brick-level backup/restore
of Exchange, and send the data to Tivoli Storage Manager. When installing
BackupExec, there is an option called "ADSM option". Installing this, will
create a separate dsm.opt file, located in BackupExec's program directory.
BackupExec will then do filelevel or/and Exchange brick-level backup and
restore. I don't know if the BackupExec client is to count as one Managed
System for LAN. If so, there would be cheaper to buy one BackupExec
client, than buying a TDP for Exchange.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB
Propellervägen 6B
183 62 HÄGERNÄS
Växel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

Christian Astuni <astuni AT AR.IBM DOT COM>
2002-08-29 17:40