ADSM-L

Re: Exchange bases ...

2002-08-30 03:29:28
Subject: Re: Exchange bases ...
From: Don France <DFrance-TSM AT ATT DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 00:32:29 -0700
Well... "storage groups" is a term specific to Exchange 2000 or later;
Exchange 5.5 has only the directory store (DS) and information store (IS).
The backups (and restores) on 5.5 are restricted to either/both of those two
components... for good reasons -- performance and integrity.  In Exchange
2000, there is a reserved storage group (0);  if you need to recover a given
user's mailbox, you restore the group he's in, using the group-0, then
extract to .PST.  In Exchange 5.5, you needed to have a separate, warm
stand-by machine to restore the entire IS.

NEW NEWS:  There is now (or soon to be) a special, adjunct product from
Microsoft to support mailbox restores, using a "scan" of the storage group
containing the user in question.  It was discussed at SHARE in SF, will come
out in the proceedings (for members) in a few weeks.

Watch for MS ExMerge, a tool to extract mailboxes from Exchange server to
.PST files, then use b/a client to backup.  Alternatively, check out the
combination of TSM for Mail, ExMerge and IBM's CommonStore product (usually
used for long-term archiving).  Check out these MS TechNet articles...
Q174197 - XADM: Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Merge Program ( ...
... XADM: Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Merge Program (Exmerge.exe) Information
Q265441 - XADM: Some Questions and Answers About the Exmerge ...

Hope this helps.

Don France
Technical Architect -- Tivoli Certified Consultant
Tivoli Storage Manager, WinNT/2K, AIX/Unix, OS/390
San Jose, Ca
(408) 257-3037
mailto:don_france AT att DOT net

Professional Association of Contract Employees
(P.A.C.E. -- www.pacepros.com)