ADSM-L

Re: Large file system on HP-UX

2002-02-13 16:36:24
Subject: Re: Large file system on HP-UX
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 16:33:44 -0500
We finally got our problem resolved.

Tivoli support recommended that we upgrade the client from 4.1.2.0 to
4.1.3.0 or 4.2.1.15 to get the fix for APAR IC29368. Tivoli support
expected this to get the backup to run. Earlier ADSM-L postings indicated
that the fix would cause the client to produce an accurate error message
when it failed. I was not particularly surprised when it turned out that
ADSM-L was right and Tivoli support was wrong.

The error message from the 4.1.3.0 client confirmed that we were short
of memory. Tivoli support quoted an estimate of 300 bytes per file from
the developers. On this basis we increased the maximum data segment size
to a gigabyte. We were able to get a successful backup with this amount
of memory.

We ran backups with the incrbydate option after some of the failures. We
thought this would give us acceptable backup coverage until we got the
problem resolved. We were wrong. When the 4.1.3.0 client ran out of memory
it still generated a message reporting a successful incremental backup of
the large file system. The subsequent backup with the incrbydate option
behaved as if there really had been a successful backup, skipping all files
with change dates prior to the end of the failed backup. The 4.1.2.0 also
displayed the message reporting a successful incremental backup in
conjunction with the incorrect 'User abort' message. I strongly suspect that
this led to the same problem with the subsequent use of the incrbydate
option, but I have not been able to prove it.

The memory shortage would have been an inconvenience but not a data integrity
problem if the incrbydate option had worked. In actual fact, we ended up
with a major data integrity exposure because of Tivoli's sloppy quality
control.