ADSM-L

Large file system on HP-UX

2002-02-09 12:14:28
Subject: Large file system on HP-UX
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 12:11:52 -0500
We have an HP-UX 11 client system running the 4.1.2.0 client. This
system has one file system with about 3.1 million files. The number
of files has been growing, and was only 2.9 million a week ago. The
backups for this system recently started failing with 'User abort'
messages. A search of the ADSM-L archive revealed that our client has
a bug that causes a number of different problems to be misreported as
user aborts. I susoect a memory shortage. The README file for the
client states that the maxdsize kernel parameter may have to be
increased for large file systems. Tivoli being Tivoli, there is no
quantitative information about the relationship between file system
size and the necessary maxdsize value. We have maxdsize set to 512
megabytes, which is eight times the default value.

Is there a later client level that fixes the error reporting bug and
is otherwise fit for production use? Is it possible that we need a
still larger value for maxdsize?