ADSM-L

Large file system on HP-UX

2015-10-04 17:12:12
Subject: Large file system on HP-UX
From: Thomas Denier [mailto:Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
We have an HP-UX 11 client system running the 4.1.2.0 client. This system
has one file system with about 3.1 million files. The number of files has
been growing, and was only 2.9 million a week ago. The backups for this
system recently started failing with 'User abort' messages. A search of the
ADSM-L archive revealed that our client has a bug that causes a number of
different problems to be misreported as user aborts. I susoect a memory
shortage. The README file for the client states that the maxdsize kernel
parameter may have to be increased for large file systems. Tivoli being
Tivoli, there is no quantitative information about the relationship between
file system size and the necessary maxdsize value. We have maxdsize set to
512 megabytes, which is eight times the default value.

Is there a later client level that fixes the error reporting bug and is
otherwise fit for production use? Is it possible that we need a still larger
value for maxdsize?