ADSM-L

Re: Disk pool size vs large file

2001-06-21 14:59:53
Subject: Re: Disk pool size vs large file
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 15:00:54 -0400
>I have a 56GB disk pool with the next pool to tape.  I have a user, DB2
>Admin, that wants to back up a 125GB DB2 backup.  What's the best way to
>handle this one user?  If he/she backs up the file will it crash the system
>because it's bigger that the diskpool, or will it go right to tape?

That huge backup will likely choke on the disk pool filling and waiting for
migration to tape.  I would take the approach, for this one exceptional
backup event, of doing UPDate STGpool ... ACCess=READOnly for the duration
of the event, so that the backup goes directly to tape.  Others with direct
experience with such DB2 backups may have more to say on approaches.

   Richard Sims, BU