ADSM-L

Re: 3590E

2001-02-14 17:37:37
Subject: Re: 3590E
From: Othonas Xixis <othonas AT BELLSOUTH DOT NET>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 17:38:12 -0500
Debbie Hi,
You are correct, there is sensitivity nature issue with the 3590 E (Extended
length) tapes or  "K" type or Condor. I was told that if you drop a "K"
cartridge from a height as short as 4 inches would cause the tape to be
unusable. I've not seen this in print but this indicates how seriously
important good tape handling practices are.

If you encounter a problem with the IBM "K" tapes exhibiting errors you should
call 1-888-IBM-MEDIA and ask for replacement under warranty due to the fact
that they will not "initialize" new out of the box. (this is important).

Be sure to stress to yr tape operators (especially if you have off-site
requirements) that the increased density of the K media (there are 256
lengthwise data tracks) DEMANDS proper handling.  With the 3 to 1 compaction
algorithm, these cartridges can contain over 100+ Giga Bytes of data, so the
data lost risks are very high.

As far as off-site shipment for vaulting purposes, it is suggested "turtle
boxes" as outlined in the 3590 Tape Care and Handling Guide but are asking that
these boxes also be double boxed with bubble pack to absorb any impact the
cartridge might receive during shipment.

Brgds,

Othonas