ADSM-L

Re: ????s on ADSM 3.1.0.8 (Win98) client after install or upgrade

2000-05-16 15:57:25
Subject: Re: ????s on ADSM 3.1.0.8 (Win98) client after install or upgrade
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <ADSM AT MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 15:57:25 -0400
Last week I wrote, in part..
> I now have 2 Win98 systems which (one a new install, one an
> upgrade from V2 client) have ????s instead of normal text.   The
> registry edit mentioned in the v3.1.0.8 README does not help.

It's still one of life's little mysteries. :-(

One of my users decided to call the support line.  A very friendly guy
said the only way to solve the problem is to format the hard drive and
start over.  Very helpful!    Not often you get such good advice from a
hotline.  My user, savvy person he is, hung up and did not follow the
advice.  Whew!

Why pay that guy $8 an hour?  You could spit out that kind of advice
with an answering machine.  "Hello, this is the Tivoli Storage Manager
support line.  If this is your first call, please format your hard disk and
then get back to us.  Thank you for using Tivoli Storage Manager and
thank you for calling.  We care!"  click.

click.

Wayne T. Smith                          ADSM AT Maine DOT edu
ADSM Technical Coordinator - UNET       University of Maine System