ADSM-L

Re: ????s on ADSM 3.1.0.8 (Win98) client after install or upgrade

2000-05-16 16:21:12
Subject: Re: ????s on ADSM 3.1.0.8 (Win98) client after install or upgrade
From: Andy Raibeck <Andrew_Raibeck AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 13:21:12 -0700
Hi Wayne,

I agree completely that the advice was inappropriate, to say
the least.

I have located the PMR number and will forward the information
to our Level 2 service manager and team leader. This problem
never made it to Level 2, and I would think that it should
have eventually wound up there. I will ask that someone from
Level 2 contact your user (Peter Cyr is the name in the problem
record) to see if he wishes to re-open and work with Level 2.

If this is an ADSM problem, we need to know what it is. If it
is not ADSM, the least we can do is try to get a better
understanding of where the problem is, other than telling the
user it is a problem with his registry, or having him reformat
his hard drive.

On behalf of IBM/Tivoli, I apologize for this poor example
of service.

Sincerely,

Andy

P.S. Believe it or not, some of us *do* care!   :-)

amr

Andy Raibeck
IBM/Tivoli
e-mail: andrew.raibeck AT tivoli DOT com
"The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked."

Last week I wrote, in part..
> I now have 2 Win98 systems which (one a new install, one an
> upgrade from V2 client) have ????s instead of normal text.   The
> registry edit mentioned in the v3.1.0.8 README does not help.

It's still one of life's little mysteries. :-(

One of my users decided to call the support line.  A very friendly guy
said the only way to solve the problem is to format the hard drive and
start over.  Very helpful!    Not often you get such good advice from a
hotline.  My user, savvy person he is, hung up and did not follow the
advice.  Whew!

Why pay that guy $8 an hour?  You could spit out that kind of advice
with an answering machine.  "Hello, this is the Tivoli Storage Manager
support line.  If this is your first call, please format your hard disk and
then get back to us.  Thank you for using Tivoli Storage Manager and
thank you for calling.  We care!"  click.

click.

Wayne T. Smith                          ADSM AT Maine DOT edu
ADSM Technical Coordinator - UNET       University of Maine System