ADSM-L

Re: hmmm...how do I do full backup?

2000-05-02 10:00:48
Subject: Re: hmmm...how do I do full backup?
From: Rob Schroeder <robs AT FAMOUSFOOTWEAR DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 09:00:48 -0500
Collocation is great and all, but keep in mind that it may or may not be the
solution for you.  If you use collocation, then your backups may take longer.
This would be because you probably have more servers than tape drives and
therefore you will need to be more practical in your timing of backups.  Since
tapes will be segregated by node, then multiple nodes will not write to the same
tape at the same time.  Just a time management issue is all, not a show stopper.

Also the theory of infinite incrementals is something that should have been
addressed in your product selection part of your project.  Keep in mind that
although some people call the full/incr. a 1970's approach, it still may meet
your business requirements.  Objectively determine whether YOU need infinite
incrementals or full/incr.  There is no right or wrong solution here.  Also keep
in mind that with today's disk drive technology (mainly RAID5 and RAID 1
storage) backups are used less for system recovery and more for user restores.
The person that deleted a file accidentally is OUR main customer now, is it
yours?  As a result we chose a package that worked better for that purpose than
for system recovery.  Although it also does fine in our recovery procedures,
even if tapes are fragmented.

Rob Schroeder
Famous Footwear
robs AT famousfootwear DOT com