ADSM-L

Re: dbbackups on the same volume

2000-01-05 10:37:15
Subject: Re: dbbackups on the same volume
From: Nick Cassimatis <nickpc AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 10:37:15 -0500
If you REALLY want to do this (remember, the ADSM Developers designed ADSM
to not work this way), you can backup your ADSM Database to a file on a
cartridge (I know this works with an OS/2 controller, I'd assume it would
work the same with an NT machine).

backup db type=full devt=file vol=F:\cartridgename1a\dbbackupfull.dbb
backup db type=incr devt=file vol=F:\cartridgename1a\dbbackupincr1.dbb

'F:' being the drive the jukebox appears as from the NT machine
'cartridgename1' begin the cartridge name, 'a' begin side A  (This depends
on how you format your media)

This will not work with triggered backups, as they need to go to scratch
volumes.  Also, you definately want each full backup to go to a new
cartridge, so automating this gets rather difficult, unless you want to
create schedules for 2-3 weeks worth of database backups.

Again, really consiter all the implications of having a weeks (or however
many days) worth of database backups on one cartridge.  You may decide the
ability to recover your server to the latest possible date may be worth
"wasting" a few cartridges.

Nick Cassimatis
nickpc AT us.ibm DOT com

If you don't have the time to do it right the first time, where will you
find the time to do it again?