ADSM-L

Re: dbbackups on the same volume

2000-01-05 10:48:21
Subject: Re: dbbackups on the same volume
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 10:48:21 -0500
Another thing you can do, if you data base is small, is to send your backups
to a devclass of FILE on disk; just make sure it is NOT the same physical
disk as your data base, or you haven't accomplished anything!  It even works
for triggered backups; for devclass FILE, ADSM just creates a DB backup name
for you when it creates the output file to a "scratch" volume.

I have done this and set up the devclass so the output with to a networked
drive that was physically attached to another NT server, but mapped as a
drive to my ADSM server.  (You have to dink around with NT permissions, but
it works.)

That saved me tape handling, and also got the ADSM DB backup off the ADSM
server machine to another location for DR purposes.

Just an idea...

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert