ADSM-L

Re: It's too easy !

1998-04-02 07:06:20
Subject: Re: It's too easy !
From: Bob Matthews <Robert.Matthews AT SEINF.UNIGE DOT CH>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 14:06:20 +0200
Thank you to those people who replied to my remarks about it being far too easy
for a user of the version 3 GUI to backup the entire universe.

Unfortunately, what I hear is not encouraging. Neither the latest fix nor the
proposed future development come anywhere near solving the problem. There's no
way we can upgrade our 1,000 clients to version 3 while this situation exists.
In my humble opinion, once a domain has been defined for a client, the client
should never look at anything outside that domain irrespective of whether the
backup is by GUI, non-GUI, scheduled or non-scheduled. If I understand the
documentation correctly, I can "enforce" a domain in a client option set but
the GUI will then ignore it. What's the use of "enforcing" something that can
be ignored? This seems like a contradiction!

Is this another example of IBM not listening to the requirements of its
customers? Forgive me if I'm wrong.

Bob Matthews,
University of Geneva.