ADSM-L

Re: It's too easy !

1998-04-06 09:44:08
Subject: Re: It's too easy !
From: Bob Matthews <Robert.Matthews AT SEINF.UNIGE DOT CH>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 15:44:08 +0200
Thank you to Andy, Mike and Brett of ADSM Development for clarifying the
version 3 GUI/domain situation. I fully appreciate the performance and
usability implications on which the design was based. Unfortunately, at my own
site, neither the "Backup Domain" menu option nor the pre-expanded tree offer
sufficient protection. The onus is still on the user to make a selection before
launching the backup because nothing is pre-selected as it was in version 2.
The danger of making a bad selection via the GUI is still too great. Most
end-users don't understand, and shouldn't need to understand, the details. Some
will use the "let's select everything to be sure" technique and others will try
the "I wonder what happens if..." approach. Then there are those who are simply
accident prone. It will only require a few of these to fill my ADSM server
database and I certainly don't want to clean up that sort of mess. What I would
personally like is a way for the ADSM administrator to grant or deny backup
rights for individual clients, as suggested by Cris Robinson. I don't know how
this should be implemented in detail but perhaps something like a
BACKUPREMOTE=yes/no attribute akin to the BACKDELETE and ARCHDELETE attributes
of the node definition.

Bob Matthews,
University of Geneva.