ADSM-L

Re: It's too easy !

1998-04-01 10:34:30
Subject: Re: It's too easy !
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 10:34:30 -0500
In <01bd5d7b$c75cf300$5912c281 AT figaro.unige DOT ch>, on 04/01/98
   at 04:38 PM, Bob Matthews <Robert.Matthews AT SEINF.UNIGE DOT CH> said:

>We've been looking at the implications of migrating our PC and Mac clients
>to ADSM Version 3 and have come to the conclusion that it's far too easy
>for users to backup all accessed disks, both local and remote. When you
>start the Mac gui, for example, a window opens containing the client's name
>or address which represents the top of the filespace tree. It is sufficient
>to check this and start the backup to have all visible files, both local
>and remote, backed up. If the client is accessing disks on a remote server
>or a cd juke box the entire contents will be backed up! In order to avoid
>this the user must do something, namely expand the filespace tree and
>deselect the remote filespaces. In a university environment, where anarchy
>reigns, this is not an acceptable scenario. In their haste on Friday
>afternoon users will simply take the easy option and backup the entire
>universe by checking the top of the tree.

>Are we missing something or have others experienced and/or solved this
>problem?

>Bob Matthews,
>University of Geneva.

Yes, I agree with you, the original design will lead to backing up cd's,
network drives etc.

IBM is fixing it in two stages.  The recently release client fixes have an
option 'backup domain' in the 'Actions' menu on the title bar or type
<apple-d>.  Later IBM
will expand the display to show the local drives, remote drives and other
drives like cd's in 3 seperate items.

Before 3/27 you weren't missing something, but since then you are ;-)   --
Bill Colwell
Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Cambridge, Ma