ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Alternatives

1998-02-12 16:24:25
Subject: Re: ADSM Alternatives
From: Keenan D Stratton <stratkee AT GTI DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 16:24:25 -0500
I had put together an RFP together last December and sent it to IBM, EMC,
StorageTek, DEC, HP, MTI, and Amdahl.  I was looking for a Storage
Management Solution for a client.  I spent several months performing
evaluations and trying to narrow the field down to just 2 vendors to
perform a proof of concept pilot.  We chose Legato Networker running on a
UNIX server and ADSM on NT to pilot.  Here's the run down of pilot results.
 While server installation and setup were fairly equal, client instructions
and ease of install across platforms were far superior using ADSM. As far
as backing up clients, Legato outpeformed ADSM with one client, NetWare
4.1.  ADSM outperformed in all others.  Also, ADSM had a DEC OpenVMS third
party solution called ABC Client by SSSI and Legato did not.  Our testing
with DEC OpenVMS clients went flawlessly, even disaster recovery testing.
 ADSM also won in the remote administration category, we just could not get
Legato Networker to work.  They could not either.  Legato Networker does
not handle media very well (i.e. reclamation, copies, collocation, off site
management, etc.)  ADSM does a far superior job in this category as Kelly
mentioned in his thread.  Overall, I recommended ADSM over Legato Networker
because of its cross platform ease of use, media management, remote
administration, documentation, use of storage pools, intermediate disk
storage, mainframe concepts, and product vision and maturity.  I'm probably
leaving something out but basically ADSM is very robust and should be
looked at seriously for those of you considering an alternative.

Keenan D Stratton
DMR Consulting Group
Keenan AT Webname DOT com