ADSM-L

Re: ADSM bugs and support.

1995-10-19 13:52:03
Subject: Re: ADSM bugs and support.
From: Bill Colwell <BColwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 17:52:03 GMT
In <bitnet.adsm-l%9510191450.AA38097 AT mercury.umis.upenn DOT edu>, mmk AT
umis.upenn DOT edu (Mark M. Klivansky) writes:
>Hello,
>

>I would like to ask ADSM users if many are happy with a product or support.

I am very happy with both the product and the support.  Our server is on MVS
with 800 clients, mostly enduser Macs, and 400G of data so far.  We are running
version 2.

>A few month ago we installed ADSM on our SP2 machine, but we can't call
>it backup solution yet.
>
>Very often we have tape drive problems, sometimes these errors not in errpt
>but on activity log as OP=WRITE or READ with sense=00.00.00.00.
>These errors terminate process, after 20 GB of data already processed.

WE use 3490 tapes (actually STK 4490) and have had very few problems.

>Many features which in ADSM books or README files don't work, and I am
>getting fallacious answer, for example, DSMSCHED.LOG pruning will happen
>only after scheduler will be restarted, even IBM suggested to include SCHLOGR
>(days),[s n] in DSM.SYS. So why bother with this parameters, if our goal
>to do backup with centralize scheduler and automate backup as much as
>possible.

This is fixed in the version 2 clients which will run with a version 1 server.
Pruning is done after every scheduled event.
You can get them at ftp://index.storsys.ibm.com/adsm/fixes.

>Sometimes ADSM create duplicate names in filespaces and refusing to
>backup filesystem from clients nodes because of it.

This is apar IC09418, fixed in level 0.3 of the version 2 servers.  You
can rename both filespaces, then find which is the original and rename it
back, then delete the other one.  This is how I fixed it when it happen.
It only seemed to happen on macs after a harddrive was replaced.

>When we made marketing research of backup product, many IBM representatives
>claimed that in 4q 1994 we will be able to backup ORACLE online, now nobody
>even mentioning if they continue working on this interface, just referring
>to third companies.
>
>I have eggs on my face for recommending implementing ADSM.
>
>My questions are how to correct these problems, to whom to call to get
>quick response and resolutions, often we are waiting week to talk with
>level 2 and other week to get results.

Did you buy the support contract?  If so, call 1-800-237-5511.  Or get
to IBMlink and use the 'ETR' function to report problems.

>How people backing up 150 GB of ORACLE data base, knowing it have reliable
>backup in case of restore.

Sorry, can't help here.

>IBM people, welcome to reply.
>
>Thanks.
>Mark
>

>                         --------------------------
>                        |   Mark M. Klivansky      |
>                        |University of Pennsylvania|
>            \ voice:    |   mmk AT isc.upenn DOT edu      | FAX:      /
>             \ (215)    |                          | (215)    /

Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Email: BColwell AT draper DOT com
Voice: 617-258-1550