ADSM-L

ADSM bugs and support.

1995-10-19 10:50:16
Subject: ADSM bugs and support.
From: "Mark M. Klivansky" <mmk AT UMIS.UPENN DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 10:50:16 -0400
Hello,

I would like to ask ADSM users if many are happy with a product or support.

A few month ago we installed ADSM on our SP2 machine, but we can't call
it backup solution yet.

Very often we have tape drive problems, sometimes these errors not in errpt
but on activity log as OP=WRITE or READ with sense=00.00.00.00.
These errors terminate process, after 20 GB of data already processed.

Many features which in ADSM books or README files don't work, and I am
getting fallacious answer, for example, DSMSCHED.LOG pruning will happen
only after scheduler will be restarted, even IBM suggested to include SCHLOGR
(days),[s n] in DSM.SYS. So why bother with this parameters, if our goal
to do backup with centralize scheduler and automate backup as much as
possible.

Sometimes ADSM create duplicate names in filespaces and refusing to
backup filesystem from clients nodes because of it.

When we made marketing research of backup product, many IBM representatives
claimed that in 4q 1994 we will be able to backup ORACLE online, now nobody
even mentioning if they continue working on this interface, just referring
to third companies.

I have eggs on my face for recommending implementing ADSM.

My questions are how to correct these problems, to whom to call to get
quick response and resolutions, often we are waiting week to talk with
level 2 and other week to get results.
How people backing up 150 GB of ORACLE data base, knowing it have reliable
backup in case of restore.

IBM people, welcome to reply.

Thanks.
Mark

                        |   Mark M. Klivansky      |
                        |University of Pennsylvania|
            \ voice:    |   mmk AT isc.upenn DOT edu      | FAX:      /
             \ (215)    |                          | (215)    /